Wishing you and your pets a safe and happy bank holiday
Over this extended weekend, a lot of us will be tucking into some traditional treats.
However, did you know a lot of the food we indulge in can be harmful and even lethal to animals? Chocolate eggs, hot cross buns, cakes with dried fruit even some seasonal bulbs and flowers can be poisonous to our pets. More than ever we are urging owners to be vigilant because it will be a lot harder to get veterinary assistance, should the need arise, for something that could be preventable. Keep all foods well out of reach, including wrappers as it is not unknown for pets to chew on these and therefore run into the problem of blockages once swallowed. Here are some of the foods and plants that are hazardous
- Onions and garlic
- Apple pips, apricot stones etc
- Dried fruit, raisins, currants etc
- Xylitol (found in sugar free foods)
- Spring bulbs and flowers eg crocus, bluebells, tulip etc
This list is not exhaustive, it just gives an example of some of the most common foods and plants.
If your pet shows signs of poisoning, vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy or collapse, phone your vet immediately.
We want all the family to remain safe and well over the bank holiday, which of course includes your pets. Have a great weekend all and we are sending you all good wishes from us at RSPCA Nottingham and Notts. We are closed from 5pm Good Fri until 9am on Wed 7th April.